Our Website: www.ashdalealpacas.com

Wednesday 19 May 2010

Boys, Boys, Boys

 Junior getting a close look at the camera


Lear - I always want to cuddle him


The boys sitting around while I clean up after them
No change there then


After the warning from Rob at Wellground about the dangers of Cuckoo Pint we had to search for the one I had seen somewhere last year.  Once found, Si took a break from spraying the docks and buttercups to attack that one.  Well, they say a change is as good as a rest.  We're beginning to feel as though the docks are really winning.  He's out there spraying every day, even coming in from the hard sums and declaring war until it goes dark.

I must admit that I've been really slow at doing the paddock cleaning at the moment and I spent some time just sitting on the grass watching the boys.  It's easier to clean the paddocks myself as I have been using what I collect in the raised beds, troughs and pots that I have been planting up.  When Si was collecting the waste he accused me of being extravagant with it.  It's not as if we're ever going to run out.  I can safely give him a written guarantee of that.

The weather is supposed to stay really warm and dry for the foreseeable future with no rain on the horizon so I have been saving bath water to water all my bedding plants with of a morning.

Bacardi and Coke have been getting fed nettles that Si has been collecting for them by the barrow load.  It's like giving DD a cream cake.  They squeak and dance around while they are eating them.

The girls are all getting bigger but we still have ages to go before our next birth.  Everybody who has an alpaca due to birth seems to be going over their due dates so at this rate we could be birthing in winter instead of July and August.

6 comments:

  1. How come your boys are so clean and white, my two white boys look decidedly scruffy in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but feel that the second to last paragraph was written as a test to see if I'm still reading :P xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the layer of docks between them and the soil that keep them clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the docks, they are a nightmare here too. I thought things were improving last year but they are just as bad if not worse this year :-( and I hate spraying but there is no other option when they are so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are also suffering from an attack of the docks - along with thistles, creeping buttercups and a gargantuan thing I call the sticky bomb plant. Your boys do look clean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew the answer to keeping our Alpacas as clean as yours!

    ReplyDelete